About Me

My photo
A Blog created for EPSY 556: Analysis of Advanced Instructional Technologies

What About Me?

My name is Margie Hay-Ashcraft and I am just about to complete my CTER course work at the University of Illinois. Yeah!!!

This year marks my 11th in teaching, and I must say the time has flown by! I teach at the alternative education program, Eagle Academy, at Rantoul Township High School. Our program is in its second year, and I really think Ihave found my dream job! I work with 30 kids on a daily basis and help them to finish high school on time. Most of our students are way behind and we use a combination of NovelStars, a computer based program, teacher taught classes, and individualized packets for the students. The best part of the day is seeing a student who has had little success in the regular school setting complete a class to earn a credit!

At home, life is a circus! I have a husband, two daughters and two grandchildren living under one roof! My daughters are 20 and 22, my grandaughter is 3 and my grandson just turned 1! My 82 year old mother lives next door, so I am definitely a part of the "sandwich generation". But, our house, while busy and cluttered with trikes and toys, is one that I look forward to coming home to every night! I also have a stepson who left for
Afghanistan in April. We pray that he will return to the states safely in July of 2009.

I am a digital immigrant. I bought my first computer in 1993 and taught myself just about everything I knew about it. I was a 3o year old computer nerd! I was also the first "nerd" I knew! I was in college working on my teaching degree and knew that I wantd to teach with technology. I was one of the first teachers to use power point or show internet video clips in my classroom. I am now a part of our school's first "teaching with technology" team! The process has been slow, but I thinkl we moving forward.

More later... I think some of the circus clowns have escaped and are about to let the monkeys loose!

Saturday, October 25, 2008

What about Digital Storytelling

Wow! What I thought would be my favorite project of the course ended up being a nightmare! I love the idea of doing the digital story, and I learned a lot about using Windows Movie Maker, and I am sure the next story will be much easier. I had massive computers problems this past two weeks that are hopfully cured with a new sound card. After receiving numerous error codes and having the computer just shut down, I was beginning to think my hard drive was going out. Not a big deal with two other computers in the house, until I remembered I had deleted all the pictures from my digital camera and had no photos to work with!! Another lesson I learned this week, don't delete photos until I am done with them.

The movie is about Kickapoo State Park, which is about 4 miles from my house. I basically grew up there and to go out and take pictures and tell a story about it was really gratifying for me. I had to keep cutting things out though to keep it around 3 and half to 4 minutes.

You can find my video at www.youtube.com at

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kNAWBB7hqOY


I was so impressed with all the videos done this week! I love to hear people's stories and find about what is important to them.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sorry to hear that all the tech difficulties you had experienced with this digital story. Those things can happen to anybody, anytime and anywhere. Hopefully you won't have much trouble with your instructional video this time.
Well, your story about the park was so good and reminds me of my memory with my friends there. One of my friends had a birthday party (canoeing and barbecue party) several weeks ago and we really had a great time there. By the way, I don't see any credits for the photos and music. I assume that you took all the pictures, right?

CTER Blog said...

Jinhee
I had music credits and a few photo credits and I have no idea how they didnt get inluded in the versionof the movie that I uploaded. I really did take all the pictures except the black and white ones and the one with the people in the inner tube. I didn't even notice there were no credits until Tuesday night when I was trying to get the video tp play from my blog! Should I redo it and re-add the last slide?

Anonymous said...

Thanks for updating the credit page. I sent email to Vanna about the update, so she will not miss it when she grades yours. I'm trying to find a way to download youtube video for WMM, but without much success. KeepVid works great. If you have QTplayer, the downloaded video plays fine. However, if you want to edit MP4, WMM doesn't support it. I tried several MP4 to AVI converter software, but they didn't work well. Some are missing video and others have very low quality videos, etc. I'll keep you posted if I find any better idea on it.

Anonymous said...

Margie, I found that zamzar.com supports free youtube video download and conversion for WMM.
1. Visit "http://www.zamzar.com/"
2. Step 1: Choose 'url' option and paste the url of the video.
3. Step 2: Choose 'avi' or 'wmv' from video format
4. Step 3: enter your email address to get the conversion message.
5. After several minutes, you will get an email notification from Zamzar.com. Then click the link in your email and download the file. I tested it with WMM and it worked fine. You don't need to sign up zamzar account to download the file. I hope this helps.